We need your help.
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) just released a report estimating that 14 million Americans will be uninsured by the end of 2018 and 23 million uninsured by 2026. Medicaid, the program that insures millions of poor and disabled Americans, will be slashed by $834 billion dollars. And 1.27 million Tennesseans–including thousands of low-income, minority, disabled, young, and elderly residents–will be at risk.
Earlier this month, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the American Health Care Act (i.e. Trumpcare) to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and the new law could make health insurance financially out of reach for some poor and sick Tennesseans. The bill passed without knowing the costs to taxpayers, without committee hearings, and without testimony from experts and stakeholders. The bill also punishes those with pre-existing conditions such as people with mental illness, cancer, heart disease, C-sections, victims of rape, sexual assault and domestic violence, and, mammograms
This bill is unacceptable. This does NOT bring more #EquityinTN. People’s lives are at stake.
Even worse, 13 white male Republicans who are meeting behind closed doors to draft their own version of the bill. Meeting in secrecy, with no women, minorities or bipartisanship at the table, is also not okay. Trumpcare must be stopped.
You have an opportunity to shape the outcome of a monumental piece of legislation. We have to work together to take a stand NOW. Here’s what you can do today:
- Write a letter.
- Call your Senators and tell them to vote NO on Trumpcare:
- Lamar Alexander: 615-736-5129 (Nashville office) or 202-224-4944 (Washington DC)
- Bob Corker: 615-279-8125 (Nashville) or 202-224-3344 (Washington DC)
- Use this simple script.
- Retweet this.
- Share, Like, Love, and Comment on our Facebook post.
- Become informed. Read this New York Times article highlighting how each Representative voted. Does your Representative actually represent your interests?
- 578,000 Tennesseans are expected to become uninsured under Trumpcare.
- Tennessee’s children, seniors, and people with disabilities who rely on Medicaid will lose coverage under Trumpcare.
- 27 million Tennesseans have pre-existing conditions, such as asthma, obesity, allergies, ear infection, and even rape.
- Millions of Tennesseans will see huge increases in their premiums, including both those on the Marketplace and on employer-sponsored insurance under Trumpcare.
- Millions of privately insured Americans will once again face lifetime and annual caps under Trumpcare.
- The bill provides hundreds of tax breaks to families making over $250K per year.
Many of the same lawmakers who voted to pass Trumpcare found ways to exempt themselves from some of the most unpopular components of the law, such as keeping coverage for pre-existing conditions and coverage of essential health benefits. Self-serving politics is not okay. The lack of concern for the people who need health care coverage the most is not okay and does not bring more #EquityinTN.
The Equity Alliance believes in removing barriers that hinder the success of African-American and other communities of color. We believe in equipping citizens to engage in the civic process. We believe in empowering you to take action on issues that affect your lives. Join us. Let’s show our elected officials that we won’t stand for the status quo. Take action today!